o Here are some things that I do as a doula:
• Help you write a birth plan
• Suggest (and possibly practices with you) labor positions, comfort measures
• Answer or help you find the answers to questions
• Share resources on pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and other related topics
• Offer physical and emotional support throughout entire labor
• Help you understand any “technical language” the doctor or nurses may offer
• Take photos and video if wanted
* Help create a calm and comfortable birth environment (including acting as a “bouncer” if there are people you don’t want present)
* I am trained in massage techniques that both comfort and help speed labor
* I have some training in acupressure points for labor (both induction and comfort)
* I have experience with hypnobirthing and am working on my hypno-doula certification.
• Help to review the birth, providing a safe “sounding board” for the mother
• Help with establishing breastfeeding (although I’m not a lactation consultant)
• Write a birth story of the event
What a doula does not do.
• Provide clinical care such as performing vaginal examinations or monitoring fetal heart tones
• Make decisions for the mother
* I can not make medical evaluations including doing cervical checks.
What are the benefits of a doula?
Many studies confirm that when a doula is present…
• 50% less likely to have a cesarean birth
• 41% less likely to need forceps or vacuum extraction
• 28% less likely to need pain medication (like an epidural)
• Less likely to need their water broken artificially or have an episiotomy
• Less likely to experience anxiety in labor or postpartum depression
• More satisfied with their birth experience
• More likely to have faster labors
• More likely to have shorter hospital stays with fewer admissions to special care nurseries
• More likely to breastfeed easier and longer
• Less likely to have a low APGAR score or experience decreased heart rate or labored respiration
My fee includes all of the above, 2-4 prenatal visits, and 1-2 postpartum visits. I can do payments plans as well if that works best for you.
I look forward to talking to you more about your birth, and hope that I can be your doula!