Montana Midwifery Association (MMA)
Article I – Name and Statement of Purpose
- Name: The name of this organization shall be the Montana Midwives Association (MMA).
- Statement of Purpose: We believe pregnancy and childbirth are healthy natural processes. Therefore, all birthing women and their families have the fundamental right and responsibility to choose and receive perinatal care in accordance with their individual needs.
Article II – Objectives
To promote midwifery as a standard of health care for women and children.
To promote midwifery education by apprenticeship through the art and science of midwifery with the aim of improving the standard of care provided to mothers and babies.
To promote prenatal and childbirth education that encourages families to actively participate in making informed decisions and have more control and autonomy in their childbearing years.
To promote cooperation and communication among midwives and other professionals and supporters concerned with improving perinatal outcomes.
To respond to political and legal needs of the profession of midwifery.
To promote childbirth as a unique experience with the role of the midwife to help women safely achieve the emotionally fulfilling and pleasurable experience they desire, by endeavoring to meet their needs holistically.
Article III – Membership
- Montanamidwives and those apprenticing to be a midwife. A member in good standing has currently paid dues and has voting privileges in all general membership decisions. Midwife membership is the current, member-voted amount, per year. Apprentice membership is the current member-voted amount per year.
- Montana Supporters of Midwives includes a larger group of members and serves the broad base of the support group. It consists of all supporters of midwifery. Membership is the current member voted amount per year.
- Termination and Reinstatement of Membership
- Membership may be terminated by either resignation or non-payment of dues.
- Membership shall be restored by payment of the current year’s dues.
- Membership Mailing List
- The membershipUSpostal service mailing list or e-mail list will not be made available to any one other than the Board of Directors or their designees.
- A voluntary membership directory may be published on line or in print.
Article IV – Dues and Finances
- A. Fiscal Year – The fiscal year shall begin on January 1
- B. Membership Dues – The Board will decide the membership due amount, with any changes in the membership fee by 2/3 vote of the present members voting at an annual meeting.
- C. Dues renewal – Due will be renewed each year, with a grace period of 3 months. Renewal notices will be sent out via post card in theUS mail or e-mail. It is the member’s responsibility to keep address changes current with the MMA.
- D. Signatures – the President and / or Treasurer shall be authorized to sign only checks and documents for the Montana Midwifery Association that are authorized by the board.
Articles V – Structure and Regions
- Montana shall be divided into 9 regions. The number or regions and the boundaries shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
- The Board shall consist of between 3 and 9 members, with encouragement of different individuals, from different regions, to join the board.
Articles VI – Officers and Executive Committee
A. Designation – The Officers and Executive Committee of the Montana Midwives Association shall be the President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer, all of whom shall be voting members of the MMA.
- B. Term of Office - Officers shall take office at the close of the annual meeting at which their election is declared, and shall serve for a term of two years or until their successors are elected.
- C. Vacancy in Office –
1. When a board member dies, resigns or is unable to serve for more than a month, a vacancy shall be declared by the Montana Midwifery Association Board of Directors.
2. A vacancy in the Office of President shall be filled by the Vice-President.
3. A vacancy in any other office shall be filled by a ballot vote or the Board of Directors. The secretary/treasurer will act in the steed until a new member is elected.
D. Duties of Officers
1. President – The President shall provide leadership, have general supervision of the affairs of the Montana Midwifery Association, preside at meetings of the Montana Midwifery Association or appoint someone to do. The President will be authorized to sign or endorse checks in the absence of the Treasurer, shall serve as the contractual agent of the Montana Midwifery Association, shall serve ex-officio on all committees of the Montana Midwifery Association and shall perform other such duties as are necessary incident to the Office of President or as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors.
2. Vice-President – The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of the President to serve, succeed to the Office should the Presidency become vacant during an unfinished term, be coordinator of standing committees determined by the Board of Directors, and perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President or Board of Directors.
3. Secretary/Treasurer – The Secretary / Treasurer shall be responsible for the minutes of all meetings of the Montana Midwifery Association and the Board or Directors, for coordinating MMA correspondence and for other such duties as pertain to the office. The Secretary / Treasurer shall be custodian of the funds of the Montana Midwifery Association, give a report as requested at meetings, disburse funds as approved by the Board of Directors, make recommendations for organizations to associate with, process membership applications, and perform other duties as pertain to the office.
Article VII – Nominations and Elections
- A. Nominations
- Nominations shall be opened at least 60 days prior to the annual meeting.
- Not less than one or more than 5 nominees for each office shall be submitted for election prior to and up to the election is held.
- The Board of Directors will be responsible for seeing that the election is held and all members will be encouraged to participate.
- B. Elections:
- Elections shall be held as during annual membership meeting time.
- Elections may also be by mail ballot if the Board of Directors so decides.
- A voting member is a current and fully paid member of the MMA
- A majority vote shall elect.
- Those elected shall take office at the close of the annual meeting at which their election is declared.
- Election schedule: Each Director’s term shall be for two years.
Article VIII – Board or Directors
- Composition: The Board of Directors shall consist of President, Vice-President, Secretary/Treasurer and the Regional Representatives, all of whom shall be voting members of the Board of Directors.
- Term of Office: Members of the Board of Directors shall take office at the close of the annual meeting or midnight of the voting day which their election is declared and shall serve for a term of two years.
- Duties: The Board of Directors shall have general management of the Montana Midwives Association and may delegate tasks to the Executive Committee. The Board of Directors’ duties shall include the following:
- Determination of the number and boundaries of the regions of the Montana Midwives Association.
- Management of the funds of the Montana Midwives Association, including adoption of an annual budget and authorization of expenditures.
- Approval of chairpersons of standing committees.
- Creation, combination or discontinuation of standing committees and ad hoc committees and approval of chair persons appointed to them.
- Filling vacancies on the Board of Directors.
- Creation, adoption, amendment or suspension of the rules of procedure necessary to carry on the work of Montana Midwives Association.
- Delegation of any of the above to the Executive Committee.
- D. Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at the annual meeting as necessary
- Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the President or shall be called upon written request of other members of the Board of Directors. Ten days notice shall be given and the purpose of the meeting stated in the call for the meeting.
- Special meetings may be in person, by mail, or by telephone or computer conference.
- Quorum: A majority of members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
Article IX: Committees
- A. Standing Committees
- Shall be those committees necessary to carry on the general work of the Montana Midwives Association.
- Standing committees shall be named in rules of procedure and their duties listed.
- Members shall serve a term or three years and may be reappointed by the Chairperson to serve one additional term.
Article X: Annual Meeting
- Time and Place: Shall be determined by voting members at the previous annual meeting and approved by the Board of Directors or can be determined by the Board and announced to the membership by mail.
- Call the Annual Meeting: Shall be officially sent to all members, listing time and place at least 100 days prior to the meeting.
- Voting Body: Shall be all voting members as of that meeting
- Quorum: Shall be one-tenth of the voting body.
Article XI – Amendments
- Amending By-Laws: These by-laws may be amended at any annual meeting by a two-thirds majority of the voting members present.
- Proposed amendments: shall be sent to the Montana Midwifery Association at least 90 days prior to the annual meeting.
- Notice: of such proposed amendments shall be sent to all members 30 days prior to the annual business meeting.
Article XII: Disposal of Assets upon Dissolution of MMA
In the event of the dissolution of the Montana Midwives Association, all assets, excluding the mailing list, which shall be destroyed, shall be disposed of to a non-profit organization devoted to improving services to women and infants through excellent midwifery care. The Board of Directors shall select this organization.
Adopted August 2011